Monday, July 28, 2008

He's Always There to Catch You

I remember when my daughter was 6 years old. She wanted to learn how to go across the monkey bars. I remember her frail, little body and small hands that could barely grip the bars. But her confidence was big. In her mind, she was going to cross the whole span of the monkey bars without a problem. I lifted her up and placed her on the first bar. I let go of her, still standing underneath her with my arms close to her waist in case she would fall.

I remember clearly as she went half way across the bars on her own, she started to sway. Her confidence was diminishing and fear started to set in. She said, "Daddy, I'm slipping. I can't do it. Please let me down."

When she was losing her grip and she called out for my rescue, I smiled, and grabbed a hold of her waist and set her down on the ground gently. I said to her, "Good job! Do you want to try again?"

She said, "Yes!", and so she went again.

To gain her confidence and for her to complete her goal, I lifted her up and this time I held her by the waist and carried her as she crossed the monkey bars. Even though she had assistance the second time, she felt like she conquered the monkey bars. Her spirit was different. She knew with her daddy's help she can feel confident, secure. . . and with her daddy's help, she can accomplish her goal.

Psalm 94:17-19: "Unless the LORD had given me help, I would soon have dwelt in the silence of death. When I said, "My foot is slipping," your love, O LORD, supported me. When anxiety was great within me, your consolation brought joy to my soul." (NIV)

The dictionary says that "consolation" is the state of being consoled, comforted. The 14th century term means: "a contest held for those who have lost early in a tournament."  Even though you want to give up- even though you have lost the tournament- God wants to pick you up by your waist and carry you through you toughest challenge. He is willing to carry you across the monkey bars of your overwhelming life.

Maybe you are slipping or you've already given up. I have good news for you! Desperation drives us to release our insecurities and cling to Him. Call out to God and He will "console" you. He will comfort you and give you the encouragement you need to face your biggest fears and disappointments.

><>


All posts are the sole property of the Heart Like Jesus blog. You must obtain permission to use any of the information on this blog.

No comments: