Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Close Down The Drive Thru's



I have a wedding I'm going to be in next month. I look at my waist line and it's growing a spare tire... for a semi-truck. It's embarassing to get your measurements and realize just 2 years ago, my waist was 4" smaller and now, the rest of me has bloated out of control!

One of my favorite things to do during lunch is order from the 99 cent menu at what we will call McKing Wendy. (Mc Donald's, Burger King, and Wendy's. Sometimes I order from Taco Bell too. That would come out as McKing Wendy Bell or... Wendy's McTaco Burger? Mmmm the McTaco Burger. Someone is going to steal my idea and make millions... just watch!)

Okay, back on the subject. Myself, along with tens of thousands of Americans enjoy the drive thru. The drive thru is convenient, fast, and the food is very affordable. I am too lazy or too busy to pack a lunch. So, one day I did the math. If I were to pack a lunch: 2 slices of bread, salami or turkey, cheese, condiments, snack chips, and a can of pop. It would cost me approx: $4.00 to make. (without a drink $3.50). If I go thru the Wendy's McTaco Burger drive thru, I will get 2 burgers and fries for only $3.00 / or a burrito and nacho supreme for $2.58. You see, I am an accountant now. I have successfully budgeted and I am saving myself and my family money! (Boy, I am a boarder-line martyr for helping my family by eating fast food instead of brown-bagging it!)

Seriously, you can save money eating off the .99 cent menu. However, drive thru food has so many calories and it's high in fat. Plus, I have a sit-down job. I am over-loading in calories and fat and I am not burning it off during the day. It does not come to a suprise that I have put on some poundage in the past 2 years. They say, "You are what you eat." I believe my body shape is looking more like a deluxe burger. . . or a gooshy burrito??!

The devotional for today is in Mark 12:41-44: "Jesus sat down opposite the place where the offerings were put and He watched the crowd putting their money into the temple treasury. Many rich people threw in large amounts. But a poor widow came and put in two very small copper coins, worth only a fraction of a penny. Calling His disciples to Him, Jesus said, 'I tell you the truth, this poor widow has put more into the treasury than all the others. They gave out of their wealth; but she, out of her poverty, put in everything - all she had to live on." (NIV)

Where do you throw your change? What kind of giving does God honor? He doesn't care about the amount of giving, He cares about the sacrifice. Many of us will put money in to things that will "fatten us up".

Expensive cars. Pricey Restaurants. Bigger houses.

How about that big, plasma, flat screened, high-definition television?

The point of the matter is, it's okay to have frills and thrills in your lives as long as it's controlled. It's okay to have a burger or a burrito now and then. If I keep on showing up at the drive thru, it will not only expand my waist-line, it will start to have bad effects on my heart.

God is asking us to give to Him sacrifically and generously. Do this and God will "fatten you up" with love, contentment, and happiness.

Food for thought: "Never say you are giving a widow's mite, thinking you are only giving a bit. For a widow's mite is a true example of sacrifice. A widow's mite is giving everything you have." (By me)

Have a great day and I hope this post will put some smiles on your faces!

><>


All posts are the sole property of the Heart Like Jesus blog. You must obtain permission to use any of the information on this blog.

No comments: